A new and creative way to raise money for your team is to do an “Online Auction” fundraiser. There are so many ways to do this and run it successfully like trying the Evergreen Wealth Formula by James Scholes, but if you don’t take the time to develop some kind of plan of action then it will fail. Here are some tips to help you with your team’s online auction fundraiser.
- Someone to sell the merchandise -It is very important to have someone who is familiar with online auctions (such as eBay) volunteer their time to sell your team’s items. Just make sure you have a way to track the sales and inventory of the fundraiser. I would recommend having a coach take care of it as long as weekly reports give detailed information on how the fundraiser is doing, and how well each item is selling.
- Set deadlines – Make sure you set deadlines requesting items for sale from each individual team member. If you don’t then they will forget and your team will not have as much productivity.
- Have a theme for a week – Make it fun and have a theme for each week. Maybe the 1st week is used DVD’s, the 2nd week is coupons, 3rd week is gift cards, etc. This way there is little thinking that each team member had to do when choosing an item for sale.
- Have businesses donate items -Request that each member gets 1 business donation in the form of a sellable item. Many times businesses are restricted from donating money to fundraisers, but they do hand out gift cards, coupons, and their own product. Put these items up for sale and watch the money come in.
- Take Advantage of Black Friday discounts -Get a group of you together and have everyone go out and purchase 1 item during Black Friday. Bring the item back and sell it on the online auction site. After the sale, you can discount the money back to the person and keep the profits for the team.
- Have punishments -If you have members not participating by bringing in items then set up a series of punishments. Maybe have them stay after and clean up after practice, or restrict them from participating in the team’s functions.
- Thrift store – Have your team go to a thrift store and look for 1 item. You can find items so cheap there, so take advantage of this. Now sell the item online and credit back the team member his initial cost.
- Re-invest – Take the money that has been made from the sales and purchase more items that you can sell for more profit. You really need to know what you are doing, so don’t spend all your money at once. Try to buy things here and there and try to find a niche market for your team.